1) The Ancestral Food Summit – 13 Experts on Health and Fitness
Earlier this year, I was fortunate enough to be one of the 13 leaders of the Paleo and Ancestral Movements invited to be part of the Ancestral Food Summit and cover the latest trends in this community. Not only was it an honor to be involved in a project with some of my mentors like Chris Kresser and Robb Wolf, but half the profits go directly to the Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund.
Each of us was interviewed on camera for about an hour and in the end, there was over 11.5 hours of video!
Here’s 10 tips I shared during my 55-min interview on improving digestion:
- If you’re someone who gets HUGE relief from Prednisone and struggles to taper off of it, that’s a red flag that you have adrenal fatigue and your natural cortisol output is very low.
- The biggest mistake people make when having a Fecal Transplant is choosing a poor donor… and good donors are incredibly hard to find.
- The $12 Billion Dollar gluten-free fad is making a lot of people with Celiac Disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity even sicker because most of it is still “healthy” junk-food
- If you’ve never looked at the Bristol Stool Chart, use it as a guide to see where your poop stacks up.
- Fat malabsorption is the most common problem we see when people switch to a Paleo/SCD/GAPS diet and don’t see results right away.
- The second most common problem we see is low stomach acid, resulting in terrible digestion of meat.
- The key factor in using Functional Medicine is getting reliable test results to make informed treatment decisions… get the right lab tests from the right lab companies.
- Most people that I’ve worked with struggling with severe gas and bloating, even after changing their diet, haven’t been tested for SIBO.
- Probiotics aren’t there to “replace” missing good bacteria in your gut… the biggest way they help you is by improving your immune system.
- 60-70% of our private 1-on-1 clients are testing positive for one or more bacterial or parasite infections.
I’m grateful to support this project and personally purchased it myself to support the cause and devour the other presentations. Here’s some of the other topics I liked:
- What most people are doing wrong when they exercise
- Fat soluble vitamins and bioavailability of various sources
- Everything about Vitamin K2
- The most important and most dangerous supplements
- Mercury in fish, fish oil, iodine, magnesium, and selenium supplementation
- Misconceptions about cholesterol
- Advantages and disadvantages of ketosis
The summit is still being offered a discount price until 1/1/14.
Here’s the link to get the details: Ancestral Food Summit
2) Chris Kresser’s New Book – “Your Personal Paleo Code”
I’m really excited about our friend Chris Kresser’s new book, “Your Personal Paleo Code” If you listen to the Revolution Health Radio show we host with Chris, I’m sure you’ve already heard us talking about it over the last year. It’s finally being released on 12/31/13 and it’s awesome.
He sent us review copies and of course, it blew my mind. Mostly because I’m a nerd and I’m fascinated by the sheer volume of research he consumed to put this together. But I also like how ‘actionable’ it is. It’s not just a stuffy journal of facts, but it breaks up overcoming chronic health issues into 3 steps (reset your diet, rebuild your life, and revive your health).
Here’s 15 Quotes From Chris’s Book You Need to Hear:
- After agriculture was adopted, the average height of of humans decreased by about five inches, and life expectancy decreased by seven years. (22)
- Traditional hunter-gatherer cultures ate as many as 126 different varieties of plants; today, 80% of the global population lives on only 4 staple plans: wheat, rice, corn and potatoes. (31)
- Fat is the preferred fuel for your body, and should constitute 40-70% of your calories. (55)
- Fat improves absorption of important nutrients. For example, adding an avocado to a green salad increases the absorption of beta-carotene by 18-fold. (67-68)
- Non-celiac gluten sensitivity may occur in as many as 1 in 10 people. (84)
- Our ancestors consumed a ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids of between 1:1 and 2:1. Today we tend to range from 10:1 to 20:1, or as high as 30:1! (110)
- Even modest consumption of EPA and DHA (200-500 mg/d) reduces deaths from heart disease by 35% — an effect much greater than statin drugs. (111)
- Not all fiber is created equal. While soluble fibers in fruits and vegetables protects against disease, insoluble fiber in whole-grains may increase mortality. (121-122)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) affects between 10 and 15% of the population and is the second leading cause of missed work days, behind only the common cold. (162)
- Approximately 70-80% of the body’s immune cells are in the gut. (163)
- The gut contains over 100 trillion microorganisms from 1,000 different species, with 10 times more microbes that there are human cells, and 100 times more genes than exist in the human genome. (163)
- Two separate studies published in the last five years have shown that a single course of antibiotics may cause irreversible, permanent changes to the gut micro biota. (176)
- Adults who sit for more than 6 hours a day had up to a 40 percent greater risk of death over the next 15 years than those who sat for less than 3 hours a day regardless of whether they exercised. (208)
- A large body of evidence suggests the majority of people need between 7-9 hours of sleep each night. Yet 35% of adults sleep fewer than 6 hours per night, up from just 2% fifty years ago. (227)
- Chronic stress contributes to diabetes and weight gain, increases inflammatory markers, triggers and exacerbates allergies and asthma, impairs cognitive function and mental health, and triggers or worsens autoimmune diseases like multiple sclerosis and Crohn’s Disease. (245)
Chris has been one of our mentors over the last few years and I’d highly recommend you check out his new book. He’s packed years of clinical experience and thousands of patients worth of troubleshooting into a $20 book. The specific vitamin and micro-nutrient supplement guidelines alone are worth picking up a copy .
“Your Personal Paleo Code” will be released on 12/31, but you can still get some really cool bonuses if you order by 12/30.
Here’s the link to order Chris’s new book on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1dOpOEc
Here’s the link to get more information on the book bonuses: http://personalpaleocode.com/bundles/
As we close out 2013, I’m so grateful to be a part of this community. Thank you for being who you are and for working so hard to take control of your health. I can’t wait to see how your health will transform in 2014.
In good health,